Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Should Brian Joubert open up a can of “Walking the walk”?




I was browsing trough blogs earlier today, checking out what others think of Brian Joubert, and came across some pretty harsh notes. One of these notes, on the Shot to Nothing blog, states (basically) that Brian is self-centered and his gold medal at the 2007 Europeans is pure coincidence, given that Plushenko is not competing this year and Lambiel pulled out of the competition last minute.



Watch his statement and decide for yourself.





“Well I never refuse a fight, even if I’m not on top form. It’s a shame really, quitting competition because we don’t feel good. I think it’s too easy to do that.”

Brian’s words translated by the EuroSport reporter


My best guess is that this statement came from the bitter feeling left by the failure at the 2006 Olympics. He might not have been in top form and still decided to take part of the competition, a decision he ultimately came to regret.


I agree that Brian Joubert’s performance at the European Championship was far from a gold medal, but there was nobody better to claim the throne. After his short program, he came up only second and the free program wasn’t as planned either.


My question is: Should we give up on Brian because of this statement? Let’s not forget that he was the first skater who was able to face up to Plushenko, and force him to skate better. After his screw-up at the Olympics last year, he was criticized and bad-mouthed by many, but I think the most painful hit was the criticism coming from the French people. As if, he didn’t do his best at the Olympics… He tried and failed. “Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.” One mistake shouldn’t be rubbed in like this. Brian proved to be strong, even when his own father opposed to his career and stated that he would rather see Brian as a soccer player.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, firstly, thank you for linking to my blog (although you were perhaps unhappy with me for what I said!)

Secondly, what you say about Joubert is fair and balanced. I accept that my post was very harsh against Joubert BUT the comments he made were an attack on Stephane Lambiel for pulling out of the Europeans (or atleast, that is how it came across to me). I thought that his attack was unjustified.

I do think that Brian Joubert is a great figure skater and that we should definately not give up on him. I also think that he should not have attacked the far more successful Lambiel for not attending the European Champs.

I hope that I did not offend any Joubert fans too badly and in short, I meant the post to be humourous but with a hint of seriousness that Joubert must try harder.

Blanka said...

What I meant was that Brian didn't directly attack Lambiel, and he only stated that he is up for a fight, no matter the circumstances.

“Well I never refuse a fight, even if I’m not on top form. It’s a shame really, quitting competition because we don’t feel good. I think it’s too easy to do that.”

There is no mention of Lambiel in his statement, and we all know that footages can be edited so it may look different than what it really is. All we see in the footage, is that Brian says these words, but we don't really know what was the question that precedented this response.

And maybe this statement didn't have so much to do with Lambiel (I think it was addressed to Lambiel in tops 50%), but rather with his fight at the 2006 Olympics.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I think that is fair. You are 100% right about the way the TV stations will edit things to make it look like someone is dissing someone else.

I guess we will have to see what happens in the World Championships in March.

Blanka said...

Yes... I'm also looking forward to the World championship. I'll bet my money on Brian Joubert, even if I feel Lambiel is more skilled, therefor more in title to win.